Historical research is like looking through a relative’s attic. It often turns up interesting and unexpected facts and anecdotes about people, places and things. Here are few tidbits from the first 125 years of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
In 1903, the institution offered night school instruction to boost attendance. The program was soon phased out because of low participation.
The first class to complete a four-year “normal course” of study – secondary education – did so in 1904.
Among them were:
- Annie Coard
- Sarah Coard Davis
- Anna Handy (Maddox)
- William H. Hayman
- Blanche Howard
- Greenbury Howard
- Harold Richardson
- Julia Stevenson
- Clara Winters
In the 1913-14 Morgan College catalogue, tuition for its branch campus, Princess Anne Academy, was free for Maryland residents, although students paid fees for books and athletics. The book deposit was $2 per year and the entrance fee was $1 per year. Boys wore military-style uniforms: cap, trousers and coat, while girls wore dresses. There was daily chapel and Sunday services. Room rent was $2.75 per month and board (meals) was $7 per month. The campus was 117 acres.
Students paid $199 to study at the Academy during the 1930-31 school year. High-heel shoes were prohibited and “extravagance of dress, jewelry and hats were discouraged." Use of tobacco or intoxicants was forbidden. All students had to bring a Bible to school with them. Sports offered were football, basketball, track, volleyball and tennis.
On Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 1941, less than a month before the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Princess Anne Academy choir had its first radio performance under the direction of T. Waldo Kiah at WBOC in Salisbury, Md.
 1913-14 Morgan College catalogue
 1930-31 Princess Anne Academy course catalog.
 College Mirror, Vol. 1, No 2, February 1942