Family and Consumer Sciences Education
The Family and Consumer Sciences Education Program provides educational opportunities designed to fulfill the needs of society in general and the State of Maryland in particular for FCS teachers. The program (1) offers a hands-on experience, performance-based program that will prepare prospective FCS teachers with the knowledge and skills needed to address some of life’s most difficult tasks; and (2) enhances the quality of life for individuals and families in regard to resource management; living environments; individual, child and family development; nutrition and food; and textiles at the secondary level. The knowledge, skills, and processes acquired through Family and Consumer Sciences Education are applicable to the management of personal and family lives as well as work responsibilities. Students applying for admission to the Professional Teacher Education Program will be required to meet the following criteria by the time they wish to enroll in the professional education classes: ..
- Complete an application for formal admission to the Professional Program during the semester prior to entrance into content methods courses.
- Complete a minimum of 60 credits, including transfer hours, with an overall grade point average of 2.75 or better. The 60 hours must include EDCI 200, EDSP 200, ENGL 101, 102, 203, and 305; PSYC 200; science, social science, and math credits with grades of C or better in each course.
- Complete and pass PRAXIS I tests in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics and PRAXIS II.
- Obtain the signatures of two (2) faculty members, outside of the Department of Education who have instructed them prior to application for admission and can recommend the student for the program.
- Receive approval of the written application by the advisor.
Recommended Course Sequence