UMES Senate Meeting
Minutes for December 11, 2012
11 am Frederick Douglass Library
- The Meeting was called to order at 11:00.
- Apologies: Dr. LaKeisha Harris.
- Corrections to the name “Dr. Bob Johnson to read “Dr. Robert Johnson” on page 1.
- A motion to approve the November 13th minutes was made by Dr. Mark Williams and seconded by Dr. XX. The vote was approved and carried.
- Old Business
- UMES Senate Constitution Review Committee
Mr. Joseph Bree, Dr. Mark Williams, and Dr. Lakeisha Harris will makeup this committee for this academic year.
- Update on Exploration of Guardrails Committee
Per Dr. Bennett’s email, the committee had contacted Mr. Woody Barnes. Dr. Bell was not aware of the discussion surrounding this matter and asked to be made aware and be part of this discussion before involving other entities. Dr. Bennett was to meet with the President to update her on the situation.
- Mrs. Marie Billie: Update on structures in place designated to address the needs of Staff members
- Ms. Billie updated the body on the status of staff as it pertains to the Senate meetings. The university staff has access to the union; employees can contact the office of Human Resources to discuss confidential matters and systemic issues can be dealt with through Council of University staff;
- The advisory board is required to report to the faculty assembly. Joe Hartman is the shop steward at UMES and is the first point of contact. The Staff is covered by the union and cannot bring to Senate matters that are covered by collective bargaining. On the matter of retribution and morale, the body was informed that it is best to report such matters to the immediate supervisor and Human Resources. Employees are to be treated fairly and objectively. Everyone is covered except those in confidential positions such as managers and the President’s cabinet.
- Adjunct advisory and graduate assistant advisory committees have access to the president. The adjunct faculty committee is separate from the faculty assembly as it enables them to have separate access through the Governor’s agreement. According to Dr. Holden this is a university system policy that is required to be implemented by each campus for shared governance process.
- New Business
- Mrs. Lisa Johnson: UMES Policy on employment of adjunct faculty draft
In December 2010, the University System of Maryland (USM) put in place a policy to address shared governance. UMES is reported to be behind in terms of approving the policy. According to the document there is a distinction between adjunct I and adjunct II faculty. Adjunct faculty can request faculty II status through application to the department chair who will forward the request to the dean. The dean will submit a letter to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs for immediate action. The draft also addresses recruitment and selection and other working conditions for adjunct faculty. Mrs. Johnson and Dr. Charles Williams were the UMES personnel who developed the draft. Ms. Billie stated that the implementation procedure needs to be in compliance with USM policy.
Dr. Boyd stated that the policy should have involvement of faculty, chairs and other stakeholders to have the process work the way it should. Dr. Johnson moved that the issue be placed in the Faculty Assembly agenda for February’s agenda. The motion was seconded by Mr. Joseph Bree.
- Mr. Joseph Bree: Academic Affairs Committee
The Academic Affairs committee approved the proposal from the Rehabilitation Department of changing RPSY 241 to RSPY 341. The proposal was forwarded to the Senate for approval without reservation. The motion was moved by Dr. Chapin and seconded by Dr. Mark Williams.
- Dr. Ellis Beteck: Library Concerns/Issues
Dr. Beteck addressed the need for library space as a result of a growing student body. Chairs have been ordered; study hours have been extended during final exam time to 2am. The Student Government Association and the library dean are in discussions to have longer hours. Staff has requested frequent movement around the building. The temperature needs to accommodate the resources in terms of mold. Dr. Beteck proposed the library committee comprise of two representatives from each school, the SGA, graduate school, IT staff, ex-officio (dean), staff and the physical plant. Dr. Donna Parker from Physician’s Assistant program recommended the need for electronic resources as opposed to text books. Dr. Boyd stated that the library committee is a standing committee in the Senate. Ms. Ann Reed from the library observed that students complain about the library temperature. She also added that electronic databases are available however increased database availability is limited by budget. President Bell noted that the administration has recognized the limitations; and the library is a priority.
- Dr. Eddie Boyd: 2013-2015 catalog revision and assurance of accuracy
Dr. Boyd requested that the university have a catalog that is as accurate as possible. He observed that a large section of the catalog is uncertain and questioned who reviews the catalog. He requested that the review process of the catalog be put in place. Notations of question included double-counting of credits such as the matter of COMAR where a statement needs to be put in place to address the matter as it speaks to retention and graduation.
- Voice of the UMES Community: Issues and Concerns
- Dr. Johnson thanked the administration for participating in the fall 2013 Senate meetings.
- Update: The search process for the Provost and Vice-President of Academic Affairs was being finalized. The presentations for the candidates of the Vice-President of Research and Economic Development position were to be made from December 16-21, 2013.
- Ms. S. Hallow shared on the importance of outreach to international students at both UMES and SU.
- A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Dr. Johnson. Mr. Joseph Bree seconded the motion and the motion was passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 12:14 pm
University of Maryland Eastern Shore