Welcome to Student Health Services
The Charles R. Drew Health Center is located on the campus of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore in the Lida Brown building, directly behind Trigg Hall. The Health Center functions as a resource to help students achieve and maintain wellness, as well as a treatment center for health problems within the student population. The Student Health Center provides health care to the student population that is convenient, affordable and accessible within a pleasant, professional atmosphere.
Health Services Information:
For services after hours, students should seek care from the local hospital emergency room. The hospital is Peninsula Regional Medical Center, in Salisbury, Maryland. Students who cannot arrange transportation should contact Campus Police for referral to the Student Non-Emergency Driver. In life-threatening or serious medical situations, 911 should be utilized.
Information provided to the Student Health Center is strictly for use by the Health Center staff and will not be released to anyone without student knowledge and written consent. The exceptions to this are cases of life-threatening illness or court subpoena.
All currently registered students who live on or off campus are eligible for services. Additional charges may be required for some services.
Specific services will incur a cost to the student. Payment is accepted from the HawkCard only.
The Student Health Center provides services from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday during the semesters. Students are seen on a walk-in basis from 8:00 am to 11 am and by appointment from 1 pm to 4 pm. Hours may vary during semester breaks and holidays.
The Charles R. Drew Health Center is located in the Lida Brown building directly behind Trigg Hall.
In a life threatening situation on campus contact the Campus Police at (410) 651-6590 and notify the Resident Assistant or Area Director. If medical emergencies occur while off-campus, contact 911 for an ambulance.
- Please arrange your visit outside of, not during, your scheduled class time
- Visit notes are not automatically issued for every visit
- Notes are not given for non-urgent conditions (colds, sore throat, upset stomach, rash, routine appointments/ testing consultations, etc.)
- A note will not determine if you will be allowed to make up a missed assignment or if your absence will be officially excused. The decision is solely the responsibility of the instructor.
- We do not issue notes for work
- If in our medical opinion, the condition is urgent or serious, a note will be given. Student who choose to visit the Health Center during class time for non-serious conditions will need to discuss the absence with their instructor
- We do not issue visit notes during mid-terms or finals
- You are advised not to miss class waiting to be seen
- Tetanus (within last 10 years)
- Hepatitis B Series
- Varicella (chickenpox) if no history of having the disease
Students are required to submit health history and immunization proof upon entry to the university. Documentation of the following is required:
The deadline for submission of forms is August 1 for Fall semester and January 1 for Spring semester
All students, including graduate, transfer and international, who are registered as UMES students, regardless of number of credit hours are required to provide a completed health history form and proof of up-to-date immunization status for measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) and tuberculosis (TB) prior to registering for and attending classes. Students living in campus housing must also meet the meningitis requirement.
Failure to submit your health and immunization form by the deadline will affect your access to scheduling. You may mail, fax or hand deliver the records (when delivering, be sure to give forms to Student Health Center staff) Please keep a copy of your records.
The following immunizations are required:
- MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)----- 2 doses
- PPD (Tuberculosis skin test)--------------- within the previous 12 months (for history of positive TB skin test a chest x-ray within the previous 12 months is required)
- Meningitis Vaccine or waiver---------------(on campus student)
Health and History Immunization Form
Important Information about Immunizations
American College Health Association
Health A to Z