Dr. Bryant C. Mitchell
Ph.D., Clemson University
2105 Kiah Hall
» Curriculum Vitae
Dr. Bryant C. Mitchell joined UMES in 2000 and he is currently an Associate Professor of Management in the Department of Business, Management and Accounting. He received a Ph.D. in Industrial Management from Clemson University in 2001 and was awarded a MBA in Finance from Columbia University Graduate School of Business. Dr. Mitchell, an alumnus of the Business Department, graduated from UMES in 1978. His teaching responsibilities include: management and organizational behavior, entrepreneurship, and professional development.
In 1986, Dr. Mitchell founded Mitchell & Associates, a general management consulting firm. From 1984 to 1985, Dr. Mitchell was employed at McKinsey & Company, Inc., the preeminent international general management-consulting firm, in its Cleveland Office. From 1980 to 1984 worked for Mobil Oil Corporation in its marketing and refining division as a senior financial analyst.
In addition, he serves as faculty advisor and tutor for freshman and transfer students. His research interests include: improving retention and graduation rates among underrepresented minorities, micro-business entrepreneurship and strategy. He serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Business and Leadership.
» Management & Organizational Behavior
» Small Business & Entrepreneurship
» Introduction to Enterprise Computing
» Production Management
» Strategic Management
» First Year Experience/Business
» Sophomore Professional Development
» Alternative assessment techniques including portfolio and e-portfolio based learning
» Organizational Effectiveness
» Development of Effective teaching methods for Entrepreneurship
» Using Business Simulation to enhance the learning process
Selected Publications [Refereed Journal Articles]
- Mitchell, B.C., Fredendall, L.D. & Cantrell, R.S. “Using McKinsey’s 7S Model to Empirically Examine Organizational Effectiveness Among the NBA Teams.” International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines, Forthcoming in 2015.
- Mitchell, B., Panda, D., Elobaid, M. and Buzzetto-More, N. (2013). Avatars in Education and the workplace. Review of Business Technology Research. 9(1) 440-450.
- Buzzetto-More, N., & Mitchell, B.C. 2009. Student Performance and Perceptions in a Web-Based Competitive Computer Simulation. Interdisciplinary Journal of E-Learning and Learning Objects. 5 74-90 Available at http://ijklo.org/Volume5/IJELLOv5p073-090Buzzetto654.pdf
- Hopkins, W.E., Hopkins, S.A. & Mitchell, B.C., “Ethical Consistency in Managerial Decisions”, Journal of Business and Ethics, 2007, Pages 145-156, Volume 18.
- Mitchell, B.C., Vistad, J. & Fredendall, L. D. “In Lean Production: Semantics Matters. ”Journal of Business and Leadership: Research, Practice and Teaching, 2006, Pages 409 – 424, Volume 2, Number 2.
- Mitchell, B.C., Fredendall, L.D. & R. Steven Cantrell. “Measuring Managerial Effectiveness During the Implementation of Service Strategies.” Journal of Business and Leadership: Research, Practice and Teaching, 2005, Pages129 -141, Volume1, Number 1.