While a spirit of joy and enthusiasm is encouraged, commencement is a dignified academic event that recognizes the achievements of all our graduates, honorees and our guest speakers. Students and guests who elect to participate are expected to observe some simple guidelines.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices must be turned off for the duration of the exercise.
- Noise-making devices, banners and posters are prohibited, as are all objects that would detract from the formality of the event.
- Students and guests should remain in their seats until the faculty has proceeded in and out of the arena.
- The aisles must remain clear throughout the commencement exercise.
- Applause should be held until all students have received their degrees. Names will be read quickly, and it is important that every name is heard.
- Guests are requested to cooperate with any requests made by Commencement Marshals and UMES Event Staff.
Following these guidelines should ensure the best possible experience for our graduates and guests.