Frederick Douglass Library Facebook Icon Blogspot Icon
 
 
QUICKLINKS
 
 Library Home 
 Library Hours 
 Floor Maps 
 Request a Library Class 
 Ask a Librarian 
 MHEC Documents
 Connect from Off-Campus
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Frederick Douglass Library

Welcome, Access, Accommodation

1890 LAND-GRANT HISTORY

1890 INSTITUTIONS AND TUSKEGEE UNIVERSITY


The United States Civil War, which took place from April 1861 to April 1865 was the single most important factor leading to the creation of conditions favorable for the establishment and development of the educational institutions for the Negro in the Southern States.  The end of the war marked the close of a 244-year era (1519-1863), during which the Negro was held in slavery.  It was an era in which it was considered a criminal offense to instruct the Negro in any but the most rudimentary domestic skills.

In 1862, the United States Congress passed the first Morrill Act which provided for the establishment of a Land-Grant institution in each state to educate citizens in the fields of Agriculture, Home Economics, the Mechanic Arts, and other useful professions. In the South, under the races, the Negro was not permitted to attend the institutions first established under the Morrill Act of 1862. Although the law did provide for separate but equal facilities, only Mississippi and Kentucky established first Morrill Act, and only Alcorn University was designated "Land-Grant."

Even with the enactment of the Morrill Act of 1862, the Federal government was unable to gain cooperation from the Southern States in the provision of land-grant support to the Negro institutions. To overcome this problem, a second Morrill Act was passed in 1890 specifically to support the negro Land-Grant institutions. Thus, the Negro Land- Grant institutions are referred to today as "The 1890 Institutions. " Those Southern States which did not have Negro institutions by 1890 each established one later under this Act.

Tuskegee Institute was created by an Act of the Alabama Legislature; however, 12 years later, the state established and incorporated a Board of Trustees and named the school private. Thus, it is not a Land-Grant College, in spite of the fact that it was granted 25,000 acres of land by the United States Congress in 1899. The triple-mission of the land-grant institutions is the concept of research, instruction, and extension service. The 1890 institutions and Tuskegee Institute came into existence in the following sequence:

Date

Name

Sponsor

1866

Lincoln University

Civil War Negro Infantry

1871

Alcorn State University

State Legislature

1872

South Carolina State University

State Legislature

1873

University of Arkansas, Pine Bluff

State Legislature

1875

Alabama A&M University

Group of Ex-slaves

1876

Prairie View A&M University

State Legislature

1880

Southern University

State Legislature

1881

Tuskegee Institute

State Legislature

1882

Virginia State College

State Legislature

1886

Kentucky State University

State Legislature

1886

University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Methodist Episcopal Church

1887

Florida A&M University

State Legislature

1891

Delaware State College

State Legislature

1891

North Carolina A&T University

State Legislature

1891

West Virginia State University

State legilsature

1897

Langston University

Territorial Legislature

1895

Fort Valley State College

Citizens' Group

1912 Tennessee State University State Legislature

1890 Land-Grant Dean/Directors Association Home Page

UMES FDL Home Page 

 

 

 



Click Here to read About the Dean.

 Click Here to read Douglass Notes, Volume 6, no. 4 

small logo

RefWorks is available now to all students, faculty and staff.  Click on the RefWorks logo to begin using it or Click Here for more information/tutorials.

  

UMES Yearbooks (1959 - 2009) Have Been Digitized

See the Special Collections web page for more information.

 

 

 

AskUsNow120px.jpg
AskUsNow!