Nianhong Chen, Ph.D.
Department of Natural Sciences
Carver Hall, Room 3125
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- M.Sc. in Marine Sciences, University of Southern Mississippi, Stennis Space Center, Mississippi.
- B. Sc. in Analytical Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China.
- Photosynthetic pigment decomposition in marine sediments.
- Phytoplankton community composition in coastal waters.
- Nutrient dynamics in coastal lagoons.
- Application of lipids in coastal ecosystem.
- Characterization of organic contaminants in coastal waters.
- Source and fate of heavy metals in coastal waters.
- Duan, S., N. Chen, S. Kaushal, P. Chigbu, A. Ishaque and E. B. May, 2015. Dynamics of dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen in the Maryland Coastal Bays (submitted).
- Mark W., O. F. Ozuem, E. B. May, M. Mitra, and N. Chen, 2012. HPLC Analysis of Phytoplankton Pigments in Maryland Coastal Bays. J. of Undergraduate Chemistry Research. 11(4): 119–122.
- Chen, N., T. S. Bianchi and B. A. McKee, 2005. Early diagenesis of chlorophyll-a in the lower Mississippi River and Louisiana shelf: implications for carbon cycling in a river-dominated margin. Mar. Chem., 93: 159–177.
- Chen, N., T. S. Bianchi, J. M. Bland and B. A. McKee, 2003. Novel carotenoid chlorin esters in Louisiana shelf sediments: formation and transformation of CCEs. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 67(11): 2027–2042.
- Borgendahl, J., P. Westman, T.S. Bianchi and N. Chen, 2003. Probable causes for cyanobacterial blooms in the Baltic Sea: The role of anoxia and phosphorus release. Estuaries, 26: 680–689.
- Chen, N., T. S. Bianchi and J. M. Bland, 2003. Implications for the role of pre- versus post-depositional decay of chlorophyll-a in the lower Mississippi River and Louisiana shelf. Mar. Chem., 81: 37–55
- Chen, N., T. S. Bianchi, B. A. McKee and J. M. Bland, 2001. Historical Trends of Hypoxia on the Louisiana Shelf: Application of Pigments as Biomarkers. Org. Geochem., 32: 543–516.
- Jiao, N., N. Chen and I. S. Ni, 2000. Chromatographic evidence of the presence of Prochlorococcus in the East China Sea. Acta Oceanographica Taiwanica, 38: 61.
- Jiao, N., C. Liu, and N. Chen, 1999. Distribution of dimethylsilphoniopropionate and its controlling mechanism in the East China Sea. Oceanologia et Lomnologia Sinica, 30: 525–531.
- Jiao, N. Y. Yang, E. Mann, S. W. Chisholm and N. Chen, 1998. Winter presence of Prochlorococcus in the East China Sea. Chinese Science Bulletin, 43: 877–878.
- Liu, J. G., C. Y. Wu, N. Chen, Y. J. Wang and L. D. Yu, 1996. Effect of nitrate and phosphate on accumulation of b-carotene isomers in Dunaliella salina. Chin. J. Oceanol. and Limnol., 14(2): 165–171.
- Chen, N. and N. Z. Jiao, 1995. Flow cytometer and its application to the study of picoplankton. In: Ecology of Jiaozhou Bay, (Ed.), pp. 200–205. Science Press, Beijing, China.
- Jiao, N. Z. and N. Chen, 1995. Prochlorococcus--a new field of marine ecology. In: Ecology of Jiaozhou Bay, (Ed.), pp. 184–189. Science Press, Beijing, China.
- Svetashev, V. I., H. F. Li, F. C. Yu, Z. Q. Sun, N. Chen and X. J. Jiang, 1994. Fatty acid composition and total lipid content in the lancelet Branchiostoma belcheri tsingtaoense. Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 108A(2/3): 325–329.
- Li, L. Y., N. Chen and Z. Q. Sun, 1995. Study of polar lipids and fatty acid composition in pylorus caecum of starfish (Asterias amurensis). Marine Sciences, 95(5): 49–52.
- Liu, J. G., X. W. Zhao, Y. J. Wang, N. Chen and L. D. Yu, 1994. Study on accumulation of b-carotene and its isomers in Dunaliella salina under environmental stress condition--salinity effect. Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica, 25(1): 1–8.
Honors and Awards:
- 2002 DISCO XVII (Dissertations Symposium on Chemical Oceanography), Honolulu, Hawaii. selected by committee comprised of NSF, ONR, and NOAA representatives to present paper based on dissertation.
- 2002 Participant National Marine Innovation Achievement Award, State Oceanic Administration of China. Title: Marine primary productivity structure, new productivity and microbial production processes and mechanisms
- Assistant Professor, University of Maryland Eastern Shore. 2012 to present.
- Director, Instrumentation Lab, University of Maryland Eastern Shore. 2010 to present.
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Maryland Eastern Shore. 2010-2012
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia. 2003-2005.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Maryland. 2002-2003.
- Teaching/Research Assistant, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana. 1998-2002.
American Geophysical Union.
American Society of Limnology and Oceanography.
Manuscript Reviewer for Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Marine Progress Ecology Series, Marine Chemistry, Organic Geochemistry, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Marine Environmental Research, Continental Shelf Research.